Sunday, May 25, 2008

Overtime....Glad a NICU Nurse!

So last week I did some serious over time. I did a straight 20hr stint. 16 of these hours I was on the floor and the other four I was in class to get certified in administering moderate sedation. Can I say when I got home I slept for a straight 17hrs. Plus during this week I took the NRP which I passed! Yeeeah, I feel more comfortable now as far as being able effectively intervene for my babies when they're trying to die on me. It so happens twice during this week while I've been on a baby tried dying on us. Can I say a rush of adrenaline and TEAMWORK is so crucial. But I guess thats what I love about my unit, there is defintely teamwork. I'm glad that I chose this speciatlty in my transition of a novice nurse. I really needed that supportive environment. I did a day rotation in L&D,Mother/Baby,Antepartume,and Newborn Nursery and the end result I thank GOD for leading me in my path. Because other than that I think it would have definitely turned me off from nursing. And I remember when I asked for a positin in Mother/Baby I thank God the recruiter stated they didnt take new graduates there. That was I first for me but I think God spoke thru her because thru our residency program I met 3 new grads started there and on already quit after less than two months. She felt her license was in jeopardy. Can you imagine taking care of 8 couplets?

I thought mother/baby would have been a good experience since I was trying to go to midwifery school asap. But God had other plans for me and again thank you JESUS. I feel that I can utilize my NICU experience being that I'll feel more comfortable in handling that 2-4% babies who needs help in transitioning into extrauterine life. Plus that extra critical pay that I get for overtime isnt too bad also.:)

Now I'm just counting down to FRONTIER BOUND!!! WHOOOHOO!!!!

No comments: