Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Hangin' in there and Runnin'

So I'm still here, I have four more weeks until I'm done with this quarter. Soooooooooo close but oh so unfortunately not there yet. So in the meanwhile I've been training for my first 5k race its for the Teal Ovarian Cancer. So I'm psyched and very nervous.


So here's the story, I've always been overweight all my life. I remember in elementary I hated running and P.E except for our dodgeball games. The hate yes hate for running and/or exercised festered until I started college which was almost 5 yrs ago..oh my gosh 5yrs. Whooo time goes by. It really felt like just yesterday. Anyhoo then I was in this mindsite, I need to get healthy, I wanted to go up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing. So I started at the school gym running on the treadmilll for 10 minutes at a 3mph pace along with all these other group exercises. Little by little increased it until was I able to jog/run on our outdoor track completing 5 miles in an hour. So when I graduated last year I was at my fittest and lowest number I ever saw in my adult life. Until I lost my routine and made every excuse in the book to not take care of myself which is really what it comes down to, I'm not taking care of myself when I dont eat healthy or work out. Plus since starting this accelerated BSN program this past September I've put on 10lbs totaling from last summer a whopping 24lb. Yes thats huge and I totally feel and see the difference. Oh by the way I've lost 10 of those pounnds, with 14 more to go and beyond. So in the beginning of this quater my studymates and I have been on this clean diet for the first month. And this month of May we introduce exercising at least 3x for 30 minutes out of the week. Before that I was running at least once or twice a week. So since the month of May I decided to take my running seriously so I enrolled in my first 5k race. I've always wanted to do this and I'm already looking into a half Marathon in November. I'm setting goals b/c that's what keeps me motivated to train. Oh yeah I looooooooove lifting heavy weights I think more so than running. But its only thru running I'm able to lose weight. I have the muscles, I just need to melt some of that fat. All in due time, a Serena Williams Bod in the making here. Until then I'm going to rest my sore legs from 3 mile jog today. Guess what? I did it in 35 minutes!! Goal by the end of summer to do it in 30-32 minutes. All in due time. Okay school work is waiting for me along with House. Much LOVE.

No comments: