Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tuesday evening with no clinical prep, whoohooo!!!

Well since I didnt have to go to the hospital to prep on my patient and come home late due to traffic and stay up till 2 doing a damn care plan with 1o medications=blog entry time. lol. Anyhoo, tomorrow I'm going into the OR, I'm excited but I think moreso because I wont have to be on the floor. Last week went pretty fast in medsurg, I was giving meds, charting like crazy and I got myself a lucky patient who was a teacher/baseball coach in his previous life who questioned me on everything and gave me tips. He pretty much grilled me in front of my professor, but I can tell it was good natured so I didnt get any hard feelings. It actually kept me on my toes. So thus far I've given two insulin & one heparin subcut, filgrastim subcut(stimulates neutrophils), and a whole bunch of po meds. Oh yeah I started a IV piggyback med.

And guess what last week in maternity was so amazing, finally was able to see a vaginal delivery. The last time I saw one was like 6ys ago, in high school where they had us do an internship in our career interest(always knew I wanted to deliver babies). Anyhoo, I really forgot how big the coochie(yes I call it coochie) got, it was humungous. What made it so interesting was that I was assigned to a lesbian couple. You're probably like so what its 2007, but that's big relative to being in a posh posh maternity unit, all pregancies are planed, all pregnant women that I have encountered are in the mid-30s, all are married with hubby right there, very typical "American TV" nuclear family. So when I was assigned this couple I was pretty psyched. I even asked how did they decide who would carry. They were very nice and I thanked them for letting me take part in their bithing experience. Oh yeah I also did the first apgar check on the baby(I'm cheesing b/c I felt real comfortable), vitamin K shot, and erythromyocin on the baby's eyes. All in all it was awesome and she pushed like four times with no screaming or grunting and the baby was out. The labor went pretty fast, not even 4 hrs I was very impressed.

Okay next topic, my pharm professor has been removed due to student complaints of her teaching incapabilities. We freakin got two weeks left, sheesh they should have just let her finish. Guess what? The prof replacing her is mad hard based on the info from the grapevine, supposedly she had to do a big curve last time. So we just went to worse to worser(I know thats not a word but it just needed to be there). that freakin suck, no really. Oh well this means pharm will be my best friend for the next two weeks its worth 40% of my grade. Pray for me.:)

By the way, why am I already applying to grad school? I would like to start next summer. My maternity clinical instructor said she would do a recommendation letter for me. So that's one down two to go. I'm thinking of asking my psych or adult1 prof. We'll see! I think I would like the last one from community health next quater since thats going to be my focus when I start working in the field. Alrighty that's it much love.

No comments: