Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Sooooo

So I have 15 minutes to post until House comes on. Did I say I looooovee that show. Pick that over Grey's anyday.

So I think I mentioned that I was excited about my community nursing course this semester. But not too excited about my clinical assignment which is again at a posh posh retirement living facility. I was one of the unlucky ones. Oh well. So here's this email I sent to a nurse asking for a volunteering opportunites after I was referred by a nurse practioner who did my pap smear last week.

So of course some changes has been made to retain confidentiality:



Hello Nurse Such and Such,

My name is Such and Such and am currently in my 3rd quater of Such and Such's nursing program. I have a a great interest in community based and/or oriented nursing which I plan to pursue upon graduation. I was referred by Such and Such after an in-depth conversation of my interest in women's health and moreso my passion in addressing the lack of prenatal care in this country. My future goal is to enter Such and Such's Nurse Midwifery Masters Program. I believe providing my services in a community health center would in some way address the lack of prenatal care and offer an alternative choice for uncomplicated pregancies to deliver without the unwarranted medical interventions such as c-sections.

I also shared with Mrs. Such and Such my idea of implementing a prenatal house call services in my future career as a nurse midwife. I was then informed that your facility already has a similar program in place. I was both excited and delighted. I'm currently enrolled in community nursing this quater and assigned to a retirement living facility for my clinicals. Therefore, I wanted to supplement my clinical experience by actually having some exposure to my realm of interest in a community health center setting.

So, I'm asking if there's any volunteering opportunites in any of your primary care services and/or shadowing opportunies in the "Prenatal House Call" program, I would be extremely excited and grateful for the opportunity. Thank you for taking the time to read this long email.

Sincerely,
Desperate Student,SN, Future CNM

1 comment:

minority midwife said...

Good Luck! (And much respect for advocating for your desired educational experiences)!

And yes....I had too much fun! I'm paying for it now!